An excursion, which takes you closer to the local people and their lifestyle in Mangalore, into the rural areas of this port city, which will peep into the local life. You will be visiting a typical fishing village inhabited by less than 50 families where people speak only the commonly spoken Tulu language.
What we will see
- typical fishing village
- ferry ride from the fishing village to the mainland
- orientation tour of Mangalore city
What we will do
- A half an hour drive by your Coach will take you to this village, you disembark and walk through this quaint village experiencing and observing the way of life of this fishing community. Early morning the Men goes for fishing in the deep sea and the women are mostly engaged in drying the salted fish in the sun and sell it at the local market. Some are occupied by rolling “Beedi” (The local cigarette) which is then given to the "Beedi" factory, Some are busy with making fishing nets and some are engaged in the making and repairing of fishing boats during the day time.
- As you walk through the village with friendly villagers, you will also be visiting a boat building yard and a fishing net manufacturing unit. You will notice most of the houses in the village are either thatched roof or tiled roof.
- You will also be provided with a fresh tender coconut water as a welcome drink from the village. The locals depend on manual bore wells for drinking water and for cooking.
- You will also see a small health dispensary in this village which functions on all days except Sunday. A doctor, conduct the health checkup of the villagers and distributes general medicines which is free of cost. You can also interact with the doctor and visit the health centre (Subject to availability on the day).
- Later, you will proceed to the village school, to understand local education system you get an opportunity to interact with the teachers and students. This is an upper primary school which is been running over 90 Years, with classes up to 7th standard. (School visit subject to school Holidays).
- You will be then taken by a ferry from the fishing village to the mainland.
- Disembark and proceed for an orientation tour of Mangalore city.
|When would you like to leave?