Let us defy the laws of gravity just like the first pioneers who built the incredible Caminito del Rey, with its kilometres of walkways pinned along the vertical walls between hydroelectric stations among scenarios of rare beauty.
What we will see
- Desfiladero de los Gaitanes gorge
- Walking tour along Caminito del Rey
What we will do
- We leave Malaga behind us and head towards the Desfiladero de los Gaitanes gorge where, at the beginning of the 20th century, the local hydroelectric company harnessed the two waterfalls to produce electricity.
- To facilitate communication and transport, a 3 km walkway only 1 metre wide and rising as high as 100 metres above the river below, pinned on practically vertical walls, was built. And it’s precisely on this narrow structure, restored in 2015, that we will test our courage!
- We access the walkway from the northern entrance, with two routes to reach Caminito del Rey. The first starts at the Conde de Guadalhorce dam and winds its way along a pleasant 2.5 km trail as far as the Gaitanejo dam. The second is 1.5 km long and, through a tunnel excavated in the mountain, leads to a forest trail as far as the first control cabin.
- Surrounded by rugged nature, we retrace the steps of the workers who first built Caminito del Rey and worked on these steep heights and discover interesting facts about the local flora and fauna as well as curious anecdotes concerning the pioneers.
|When would you like to leave?